Friday, April 17, 2009

Serious popovers and bad, bad beans

I went out with a friend last night to Angelica's Restaurant & Functions in Middleton for dinner and then to Trader Joe's for lite marketing. It was fun!

This was her second time at this place, and my first. I had wanted to go for years, but just never got around to it. When we arrived, the parking lot was full of Caddies and Buicks. We wore sweats, and were underdressed, but since we were the youngest people there (except for some of the servers), they sat us in one of those huge eight-foot semicircular leather booths meant for four or five, where everyone could see us (and admire our beauty, presumably.) The table was a little high, but the booth was very comfortable. We had to sit against the wall in order to hear each other. I didn't find the place "fancy" but it sure was a hoot. Around us, helmet hair, pearls, fussy furniture, gilt mirrors, and old men in sport coats abounded. Thankfully, it did not have the old-person smell. It was like dinner theatre, straight out of the 60's. We should have had highballs.

We were still in time for the (long) early bird special, so we paid practically nothing ($15.95) for salad (ordinary, but not weenie. Served without tomatoes), soup (creamy corn chowder –ok, but I could only manage half. It was very creamy indeed!) or choice of juices, a very yummy roll with butter, our choice of 8 entrées garnished with curly parsley and one side dish (the entrée was a little dry, but certainly edible. I didn't bother with the fried potatoes), and a cute hot fudge sundae with a very plump maraschino cherry on top.

Also, they employ a high-school kid to carry tidbits from table to table, and we had one of each type she brought. Spanakopita (I usually love this, but it was too soft and buttery), chicken wings (teriyaki style, very tasty), and others. I tried three things I had never eaten before: a corn fritter, kidney bean dip, and a popover half the size of my head (plucked with tongs from a basket that would have made Little Red Riding Hood swoon with envy.) The popover won. It was so very, very delicious, and I would have enjoyed another one. I would go back just for those! The corn fritter was ok, but it sat in a sauce that looked ominously like jarred sweet and sour, which was actually cherry-flavored. It should have been dessert.

On the other hand, their famous bean dip… well, that was pretty damn disgusting. Kidney beans, spicy mustard, relish, and mayo mixed together, maybe some garlic or onion? Whatever it was, I never want to eat it again. In the pink light it looked none too appetizing as well. By the time our entrees were served, the place was packed. Our waitress was very good.

After filling our gullets, we headed out to Trader Joe's to walk some of it off. I finally found Better 'n' Peanut Butter, and also picked up the best soup ever, Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato. Their cheeses are also very good. My friend picked up some stuff for a member of her fam who has dietary restrictions (spelt bread and gluten-free mixes like mac 'n' cheese, brownies, and pancakes. Oh, the poor souls without Trader Joe locations close by.) Then on to Walgreens where I bought 3 Cadbury eggs on clearance for $.12 each (one caramel, one orange, and one golden.) Later, I sucked out the filling while we watched 13 Going on 30, one of my favorite movies. I chucked the chocolate. I also tried Berry Mike and Ikes, which I did not enjoy very much so I gave to her hubby. He liked them. And that was my night.

And... soon begins the long weekend! Hooray!

1 comment:

The Clever Cat said...

Actually, it was creamy POTATO chowder, not corn chowder. Either way, it was extremely cream-ly.