Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So long, King Friday

Mr. Rogers is going off the air!

This is the man who taught me to call my sneakers “neighbors”, which I do to this very day. I’m going to miss him! He always stuck to his gentle views of life and never, ever sold out. But apparently the ratings are so very low, and now the only channel that will show him will end up being the non-profit one he set up, Family Communications. They produced and still own the show, even after his death five years ago.

I get the warm fuzzies thinking about watching with my sister. Sure, the show wasn’t as fast-paced as the Electric Company, and watchers were not exactly about to learn the art of the quip from him, but as an adult, I find that his measured way of talking really made an impact on me.

And you know what? It really is a good feeling to know you’re alive. It sure beats the alternative!

Won't you be my neighbor?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be your neighbor! (Not in the "sneaker" sense!)