Thursday, September 4, 2008

First period (no, not school)

A friend and I were talking today about curricula and got onto the subject of sex education for youngsters. She mentioned to me that girls are getting their period earlier and earlier – many at the age of 10 and 11 instead of 13 and 14. She remarked that workers in the medical field are saying that is because girls play more sports and are physically healthier now than in previous generations.

Yipes! I was 12 years old and in the seventh grade when I got my period, earlier than anyone else I knew. And as for the "healthier than before" bit, I totally disagree. I think it's because of all the free-floating crap out there that finds its way into people's bodies. I'm talking pesticides, man-made coatings, different kinds of fumes, makeup… and I'm sure there's plenty more harmful stuff out there. I believe these things affect young girls' systems because they are not fully developed and their bodies can be attacked more easily than the bodies of people in their 20s to 50s.

My friend agreed and said that many environmentalists also feel the way I do. She told me they believe that when the girls age, their immune systems will be more susceptible to illness than those who menstruated later. To take it a step further, I think that's what will cause them to live much shorter lives in general than people who grew up 20 years ago. I just know that these kids' life expectancies will be be at least 15 years less than adults today.

How do I figure?

Take 80 years (current life expectancy), divide by 10 years old and multiply that by the earlier change in menstruation years. 8 times 2 equals 16 years less of living time.

Maybe not very scientific, but I just know that's the way it is. People, please help take care of the world!

No comments: