Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Viva samples?

Are you a Sample Queen? I am.

I know I’ve mentioned that I am a makeup junkie, but I’m also hooked on samples. Just recently, I was running low on my favorite Bare Escentuals makeup and so I ordered some from Sephora, the self-named Beauty Authority. They have a great website, complete with reviews from makeup users just like me (they check off their skin tone, eye color, and age; and there is also an average rating for each item, since who wants to waste money?) These women are vocal and brutally honest about the products. Sephora even publishes the bad reviews, even about their branded makeup.

Anyway, I ordered some more foundation for $28 (a new matte version, bareMinerals SPF 15 Matte Foundation in Medium Beige) and a special “Heal and Conceal” bareMinerals combo in Medium (with two tiny brushes, for spot checking! I like it) for $25. I figured, why not? I have to buy it anyway. If I go to the store (in Burlington, fer chrissakes) I use my time and gas, plus and that doesn't include the cost of the makeup. In addition, Sephora offers free shipping over $50 and three free samples. For a blissful two weeks they offered five (count ‘em, FIVE!) free high-quality samples instead of three (and we ain’t talking about Softsoap), plus a bonus sample code for a huge bottle (way bigger than a weenie little packet) of Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Cleanser. I’m trying it tonight.

This is my third order with them, and unfortunately they are no longer able to offer a cute red satiny Sephora bag or their signature cool-looking black and white box for free, but even still. I have one of each, and that works for me. The last time I bought makeup from them was back in December (it takes a while for this to be used up, so it was about time.)

But back to the samples. I love them! They just make me so happy!

I toss them into a clear vinyl Clinique bag (a giveaway, free with purchase, from fifteen years ago when I wasn’t paying a mortgage and could actually afford Clinique once in a while) and the higher quality stuff I put into the pretty red drawstring baggie from Sephora. After I’ve done that, I throw the most interesting ones in my overnight bag, travel bag, handbag, or bathroom, I stash them around my house, and last but not least, I give them away. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I may (gasp!) have too many.

The reason I figured this out is because I was putting away my favorite green duffel-style travel bag from forever ago when I figured I should probably empty it out (it’s been a long time since I spent an overnight somewhere, and I don’t want to leave something in there that can be used. Well, I found about a million samples floating around the bottom and in the side pockets. I dumped them into my practically overflowing sample stash, and I realized – and I hang my head as I write this – that they no longer fit.

I looked around my bedroom in dismay and realized I also have an entire baby greens clamshell style box full of tubes and creams. This, in addition to my bags and boxes of full-sized makeup (at least I bought it all on sale). And the 100-piece box of Cover Girl makeup I bought last year on Ebay for $47.04 including shipping and handling as a late birthday gift to myself. (I gave away at least 25 pieces.) And the body washes. And lotions. I broke out in a cold sweat when faced with everything at once. I ran to the closet where I also found lots of hair sprays and fixes and other hair-related goopy stuff. It would have been like a Shopaholic movie moment, except I’m not in debt and that I haven’t bought this stuff in a long, long time.

So now what do I do? I know I will use most of it, but eventually. Maybe I’ll bring some to the office? I’m going to have to weed through and see if anything has gone bad. But if they’ve never been opened, they wouldn’t go bad, right? I'll let you know my findings...

No comments: