Friday, January 9, 2009

War is war

Golda Meir (who I discussed in my Bat Mitzvah speech a long, long time ago -- 23 years ago, 2/3 of my life! Eep! -- and whose life continues to fascinate me throughout mine) said "Peace will come when the Arabs love their children more than they hate us." Did you know Hamas has a Facebook account, as well as pro-Israel hackers? War is war, be it underground or on the surface. Bloodshed is easy to notice, hard to forgive, and impossible to forget. It's all despicable. And now everyone's doing it!

I'm torn. Part of me says, "Jews blasting instead of peaceably discussing? Ignoring a cease-fire? Yuck! How embarrassing for us!" while part of me says, "WTF is up with Hamas? Cut it out! After years and years of persecuting us, you deserve everything you get."

It's hard to put things like this into perspective. Today I was reminded of the adage of a man who is walking alongside a river when he sees a child float by. Quickly jumping in, he rescues the child. A short while later he sees another child float downstream. He repeats his actions. This continues to happen until the man gets far enough upstream to determine who could possibly be throwing children into the river.

Do you know what happens in my version? The man who saved the children beat the crap out of the guy who was throwing them in…

No comments: