Monday, March 23, 2009

The Melting Pot

So tonight was Ladies' Night at The Melting Pot, where four of us shared fondues of cheese and chocolate (yes, they were separate.) The cheese was ok; the chocolate, out of this world. If you are thinking of going, I suggest a slice of pizza for dinner, then going here purely for dessert. Here's the lowdown.

It was interesting -- if you've never been (and I hadn't), first the table agrees on the flavor (we had Cheddar cheese, I think). The table is presented with a pot and dunks chunky food (white and brown bread, veggies, and apple pieces) into the bubbling cheesy goodness with extremely long and pointy forks. I could have done without the apple chunks -- those were purely filler, if you ask me.

Three of us had salads. I had the Spinach Mushroom, one friend had the Caesar, and another had the House. These were just right, and the dressing on the spinach salad was warm and to die for. The final friend ordered a court bouillon fondue, and was served raw chicken, beef, shrimp, potatoes, broccoli, and mushrooms that she cooked herself. I liked the mushrooms best, and the bouillon really smelled good. She also received about 8 types of sauces, which nearly took over the table. It was really a lot of sauces. Caution -- keep the potatoes in the broth longer than you think, or they will be crunchy and raw-ish.

The best part by far was dessert. We chose the Flaming Turtle, an evil concoction of milk chocolate, caramel, and pecans, set afire by our waiter. We dunked strawberries, brownies, marshmallows, and other diabetic coma sweets into the molten chocolate, and scraped the dish when it was over, far too soon. We also enjoyed girly drinks. I had a Love Martini, which was an eye-catching bright pink, in addition to being just sweet enough.

This is a good place for a hot date. Although there was indeed garlic in the cheese, it was not at all overpowering, and there was no icky aftertaste. Besides, after the chocolate, no one would care. But be ready to open your wallet, because this place ain't exactly cheap. Our night was $25 per person for the salad dinner and $35 for the entree, which was a really good deal. But an ordinary prix fixe dinner are upwards of $85 for two, and that doesn't count tax or tip. Ka-ching!

We also each had a 10-minute psychic reading ($20, or $2 a minute). Originally we all wanted tarot, but were late in booking, so we added our names to the waiting list. I really didn't want my palm read, but I figured what the heck, why not. Imagine my delight when I found the restaurant had added an extra psychic, and it turned out we all had tarot readings! I also learned that there is such a thing as round cards. They were beautiful.

Well, we know my year is supposed to be a good one in general, but I asked specifically about love and career (not what I do now, but my dream job, writing!)

I won't share what she said, because that is private, after all... but I will say it was one of the few times in my life that I have never gotten emotional in an unusual setting. Whether that's good or bad, I really don't know... I basically treated it almost as a business meeting -- I mean, little to no emotion, but paying attention. But like a fool, I forgot to write down the cards I drew.

Oh all right, if you keep twisting my arm, I will share one piece of my fortune, because it's too good. Eventually, I will make money from my writing. Hear that, world? I will make money from my writing! But it won't happen for years. Guess I'd better get cracking!

1 comment:

The Clever Cat said...

Update: While I was getting my cards read, the server assembled the fondue, mixing it up right then and there. I can't believe I missed it!