Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dance party!

Tonight, I went all by myself to a singles dance. All by myself! (I'm proud of me.) I found it through meetup.com. But, they lie! Singles in their 30's to 60's? More like 2 singles in their 30's, and the rest in their 50's and 60's.

Although I was there only for about half an hour, the one guy in his 30's found me. I had walked straight to the bar, and was sipping my Seven & Seven for, like, all of a minute when he asked if I dance. I said "badly," and we chitchatted for a while. Then he had to leave to go to a friend's party. Lucky him! We exchanged contact info.

I was kinda digging the dance music, and then the dj started playing Electric Slide. And eeek! everyone liked it! The dance floor was full! At that point, I marched over to the dj and asked about the general age range. He didn't have an answer since this was his first time playing this gig, but I heard all about other gigs in South Beach, Boston, Chicago, somewhere in California, and his most recent three months playing Long Island. I don't think I believe him.

I bailed after chatting up the dj, and within two hours after I had left my place, I was back home. (I spent lots of quality time with my car today.) Socially speaking, it was a good mingling exercise for me, without falling back on the "just keep talking to the buddy you came with" trick. I ended up looking pretty good after all. Also, since it was free for ladies until 9 PM (I arrived at 8:53), all I had to spend was $6.75 on an overpriced drinkie.

I don't know when I'll do it again, but I probably will. You never know who you will meet...

No comments: