Sunday, March 29, 2009

Salsa!

My newest addiction.

Last night I went on a friendship date with the guy from the singles' dance to ZuZu in Cambridge for Moroccan food and salsa dancing after. It was the most fun I have had with a guy in a long time! Do you know how rare it is to find a guy who actually enjoys dancing with women and is also a decent leader? Nigh impossible, at least in my circle.

The food was okay, but in my humble opinion, overpriced. But dancing. Was. Awesome!!! And totally affordable. I've already joined an area meetup group for it! The beginner/intermediate class was at 9PM, but since he has been taking classes for a while, he knew all of these steps. By the end of the night, he had even taught me one of the advanced steps.

I wouldn't say I was excellent, but for a first-timer, I was certainly did well enough. It must be my Latina blood. Ha! He was complimentary, shouting encouragements: "Excellent! Verrry nice! Smooth!" I think he was pleasantly surprised at my sense of rhythm, as was I. We also did some merengue (fun, but not as fun as salsa), and a little bachata, which was just okay. Apparently Caucasians and Latinos do the bachata differently. Causasians leave lots of room between them, and basically just go back and forth, with a little hop, whereas Latinos do a much snugglier, sexier version. We briefly tried both. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure I want someone else's leg between mine right now.

All in all, a very fun evening was had. I was drenched by the end, which leads me to believe that this activity will be a real weight loss help. Woo hoo! SALSA!!!

No comments: