Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"Chinese" slippers

Since when did Chinese slippers become vinyl?

Shopping this weekend I came across some slippers in a bright, happy, apple green (third from the right on the bottom) that I thought would be ok for knocking around the house. How much? Four bucks. Ok, why not? They have shiny, matching sequins and beads on. Imagine my surprise when the salesgirl said they were "Chinese" slippers! Huh? Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

I remember as a little girl having the prettiest, black cotton mary-jane style Chinese slippers with red and pink and green embroidered flowers on them. (We bought at the cheap local stores where all the interesting stuff was for sale. Or on the street.) I had black velvet ones with dragons when I got older. I even seem to remember a pair of turquoise silk ones. They were beautiful! They were delightfully fresh-looking! They were appealing!

I bought these anyway and inspected them in the car and they are made of... vinyl mesh "material" and flip-flop bottoms! What has this world come to? These are not Chinese slippers. I'm sure what I remember were not authentic Chinese slippers either, but at least they seemed more organic.

Where, oh where can I find my precious, proper Chinese slippers again? I guess I have to hit Chinatown. I'll let you know if I find them online...

No comments: