Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Deep thoughts... by a 3-year-old

He may be silly most of the time, but Nephew is definitely growing up and has been having a few deep thoughts. He took a few moments while he was sitting on the toilet to ask some questions and to chat about God (out of the blue, in a restaurant, in the ladies’ room, with his high-pitched voice).

“Do we know what God looks like? Are there any pictures of God? I think I saw a picture of God once. No, that was Moses. Do Moses and God know each other? It’s a mystery how God made flowers and machines and everything, right? Does God know everything?” (Surprisingly, one thing he didn’t ask was the standard kiddie question: “If God is everywhere, is he in the toilet?” which would have at least been somewhat appropriate, given the venue.)

There may have been more questions, but I wasn’t there for most of them. My sister was, though (as was one of the waitresses who sure picked the wrong time to pee) and she had to come up with answers to them. Later in the car, my mom ended the conversation by stating, “Yes, it is a mystery (with special emphasis on “mystery”) about how God made everything. No one knows how God made everything, but he did.” And the case was closed, at least for now. I guess that’s what happens when you discuss “manifestations” with a three-year-old and a six-year-old! (Hey, at least I am able to say that this time I didn’t plant the seed…)

Something interesting, though – I don’t remember Neph ever using the word “He.” It was always “God.” I liked that, and not from a gripe-y, whiny “Why is God always referred to as a male?” point of view. I liked it because it was clear to him that God is neither male nor female. Or at least, that’s how I interpreted it…

No comments: