Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hunting and fishing

On the recent plane ride I read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank. It was meh (my first and probably last use of this word. It just doesn't thrill me.) It's a snack book -- you know, one of those 3-4 hour jobbies. Perfect for a plane ride, because by the time you get there, you've finished it.

So anyway, we're airborne and I open the book. And discover that I had already read the first fifty pages! At some point I had decided this one wasn't worth my time and apparently never removed it from my bookcase. Sigh. The only other thing I had to read was a magazine, and I just didn't feel like a glossy. So I read it.

What I thought: Good viewpoints, if somewhat predictable. An easy read. I was touched by very little in the book, and found myself wanting to smack some sense into more than one of the characters. On the positive side, I did feel like I knew Jane by the end of the book.

One thing is for sure -- this book isn't for 30-somethings. We have been through all this shit already! Give it to a 20-year-old or a mature high-schooler. I'm sure they will enjoy it more than I did...

No comments: