Friday, April 16, 2010

I could have banged all night

You remember that I have been trying to expand my horizons, right? Of course right. So a week ago I attended a drum circle in Arlington in addition to the Wednesday Myriad meetup. A drum circle! How fun! Drumming has always been something I’ve wanted to do. I was even thinking about taking a class in it!

The group was small – just six people including me and a friend, maybe due to the pouring rain. The leader and a couple who also attended brought about a zillion drums (some small, most large) and percussion instruments. I had no idea that drums are so heavy! Anyway, I banged my little heart out. I also rang numerous bells and shook some nuts. Heh. This was actually an instrument with a lot of huge nuts attached. I forget what it was called, but it was VERY loud. Oh by the way, I’m a natural. I totally laid down some mean rhythms. Not bad for a first-timer! Tee hee.

It was very much more satisfying than GH World Tour or Rock Band, and although I always pictured myself surrounded by a rock-music-style drum set, the djembes and the other type (cylindrical, taller than bongos, I played two at one time) were very cool. There is a meetup this Sunday in Malden for a different type of drum circle led by the woman half of the couple who attended the one in Arlington, but I am not sure if I want to get involved with “sacred spaces” and plus, that one seems to be a lot more heavily attended (eek! lots of people!) I just like the drumming…

No comments: