Friday, March 19, 2021

Becoming ruthless with makeup

As I approach the half-century mark (I’m now 48, wtf) I find that I’ve become absolutely ruthless with my makeup and skincare. Late in the pandemic year I treated myself to a three-monther on Boxycharm, then re-upped, and I’m not sorry in the least -- although several of the products were total misses. Least favorite thing about Boxy? They won’t let you update reviews. So if you tried a serum and liked it the first 3 days, and then you get hives, you can’t update to say so. This often makes their reviewing system unrealistic.

So what did I get rid of recently?

· Three unopened toners (for oily, dry, and all skins): one from Boxy, one from Whole Foods, and one from an Ulta thing, I think
· An unopened snake lip oil from this month’s Boxy
· A cheap-but-useful-for-a-while palette that had worn out its welcome in my makeup bag. I tried to pop off the top for a Barbie vanity but the whole thing broke. Eh, it’s just as well.
· A bunch of e.l.f. stuff that was still unopened, but I just didn’t want it anymore.
· Other stuff, here and there. My “using now” makeup box has been pared down beautifully (of course, I still have boxes of unused items in my Beauty Corner that need love too, heh heh).

Friends and relatives claim whatever they think will work for them, and for that I am grateful. I really dislike throwing useful stuff away. The system works for makeup, skin and hair care, clothing, house items, etc. You never know what I have in my closet that's waiting to escape!

And what is going well? Skin care!

· I snagged a bunch of Grown Alchemist night and day creams on Boxy sales for next to nothing and I’m applying them diligently. They work! Color me surprised.
· Face masks. I have a lot of them, and I am using them. You can’t take them with you, people! Use your things! Last night were squishy plum eye masks and a gold foil CBD lip mask.
· I suppose I should open the décolletage cream I bought. Guess I’ll open that tonight.
· Drinking water and lots of decaf iced tea, because I just love my decaf Arizona green iced tea with honey and ginseng!

I have always loved the ritual of self-care and my new practice of quickly saying bye-bye to stuff that doesn’t work for me feels like a balm. And I’m gonna keep laying it on. Thick!

XOXO, CC

No comments: